Here are some frequently asked questions and their responses. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact us and we will get back to you ASAP.
Q. Is it safe to buy from this web site?
A: We use Shopify to run our e-commerce side of this web site. This means that you can rely on a high degree of scalability and security. Also - none of your sensitive information is stored with us - it is directly routed to the credit card gateway (we use PayPal and Stripe - both of which are leaders in secure online payments).
Once you place the order and complete the payment, you will receive an email (usually instantaneously) with a link to download the software.
Q. What kind of support do you provide? What if I have an issue or have an enhancement request?
A. We usually respond to most enquiries within 24 hours (and usually better!). We also continue to evolve the software on a fairly regular basis and have a lot more features in the pipeline. If you have any questions, want to report a bug or defect, or ask for a new feature, please contact us. We review all incoming email and will respond ASAP.
Q. I paid for the product but never got the email with a link to the download.
A. So sorry if this has happened to you. Please check your SPAM folder to see if you have received an email (Subject: Your downloads are ready). If you have not received such an email from us, please contact us with your order details (including order number and confirmation of payment) and we will get you sorted out right away.
Q. What do you do with my Journal data?
A. We firmly believe that a journal/diary is a very private thing and as such, we do not transmit your Journal data anywhere. All of your data is yours, and stays on your PC.
We do however access the internet via the application for the following purposes:
- If your location (latitude, longitude) is available, we connect to the Google maps API to get geocoding (address) information so we can store it in your entries. No identifying information other than latitude or longitude is sent to Google for this purpose.
- We access DarkSky.Net to get weather information for your location. For this purpose also, we send your latitude and longitude information to the API so we can get accurate and hyper-local weather information for you. No other identifying information is sent to DarkSky.Net.
You can have absolute peace of mind knowing that your data is encrypted (by default) in-app using AES 256 bit encryption. We encourage you to set a password (please pick one that you will remember!) for an additional layer of security.
Q. Can Life Journal be used with Day One?
A: Yes! Life Journal works great with Day One. It works bi-directionally with Day One Classic (v1.x) when used in conjunction with Dropbox sync. You can also import your data from Day One v2. Here's a detailed How-To article about how it works.
Q. Do I need to be using Day One to be able to use Life Journal?
A: No - absolutely not! Life Journal is built to be used independently of Day One. We simply provide compatibility with Day One Classic since a Windows PC client does not exist for it.
To use Life Journal independently of Day One, you need to do nothing special - just start using the application right after it is installed. Easy as that!
Q: Do you offer data encryption for my Journal?
A: Yes - we offer powerful encryption capability within Life Journal that is always on to give you complete peace of mind about the privacy and security of your Journal. Note however, that if you are syncing your data to Day One Classic, the entries get converted to Day One's format (which is unencrypted text) during the sync process.
Q: I love Life Journal and want to gift it to someone. Do you offer gift cards?
A: Sorry - we do not offer gift cards at the moment since Shopify requires that the company be based in USA or Canada to allow gift card sales.
But there is a way by which you can gift someone Life Journal:
- Purchase Life Journal as you would normally.
- Send the email containing the download link to the person you would like to have Life Journal.
- Contact us with the name and email of the person that you gifted Life Journal to. (This is so we can update the record to ensure they get any subsequent updates automatically.)
Q. Can I use Life Journal on a OSX (Mac) or on mobile platforms (iOS, Android)?
A: Not yet - but we are working on it. We expect to have the Android version of the app out next. After that we will have Mac OSX and iOS apps so you can use Life Journal wherever you are. Remember to sign up for our newsletter - so we can keep you informed of these developments.
Q: I am a DO Journal user - how can I upgrade to Life Journal?
A: Thank you for being a customer! We would love for you to be able to upgrade to Life Journal. We have a DO Journal data import mechanism built right into Life Journal - so you can transfer your data into Life Journal (and have it encrypted). If you sync with Day One Classic, that functionality is also available in Life Journal. Upgrade today!
Q. Where does Life Journal store my data?
A: The data is stored in different locations based on where you acquired the app:
- If you purchased the app from this (Shopify) store, your data is stored in the following location: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Beautiful Life Apps\LifeJournal\Journal
- If you purchased the app from the Microsoft App Store (a UWP app), the data is stored in the following location: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Packages\26883DOJournal.43895F8C1E0E5_576dr2wy16cc4\LocalCache\Roaming\Beautiful Life Apps\LifeJournal\Journal. Note: If you cannot find the folder marked 26883DOJournal.43895F8C1E0E5_576dr2wy16cc4 – look for something similar (e.g. 26883DOJournal.43895F8C1E0E5_x64_v1.2.5_576dr2wy16cc4)
- Remember to replace <user> with your Windows user id.